Saturday 7 November 2009

an american beardmonster in .... florida.

sorry for the absence. upon finishing my dissertation, i almost immediately returned to the states. hard to believe that was over a year ago. i relocated to my old hometown, living with the parents for a while. i got a job as a welding inspector for a fabrication shop that builds boiler components for the power industry, for which i was grossly underqualified in most departments. the job works crazy hours, and i was promptly bumped to night shift, working 7p-7a, 5-7 nights a week. i have averaged 65 hours a week this year. this summer i got moved back to days, so life has been a little more normal. i moved into my own apartment, got a truck, a motorcycle, and a ladyfriend. all in all, life is good but something has been lacking. namely, my intellectual life. when you're working 12-13 hours a day, 7 days a week, it's hard to find time to read philosophy. and as the one of 3 people in the shop with any college education at all (my MA makes me the most educated person in the company), it's been difficult finding philosophical conversations. that said, it's time for me to pick this thing up again. expect a lot of meditations on marx, labor, and nihilism, as well as musings on stoner metal, various steel alloys, and custom/vintage motorcycles. for now, I will leave you with some pictures of what I've been up to










5 comments:

Matt said...

Cary, looking forward to those comments on Marx, Labour and Nihilism-and great pictures of your life in Florida

Unknown said...

yusss!

zmbe said...

i'll converse witcha!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.