Sunday 15 June 2008

origin story...

This blog was conceived out of a conversation with my colleague and housemate. We decided that we should create blogs to document the progress of our MA dissertations. I know it's a little late in the game for it, but I assure you, we're not that far along. So the purpose of this blog will be two-fold:
1). To hold myself accountable for how much work I'm doing. If i post up what I've done at the end of the day, it should encourage me to get more done. And it'll let me see how much I've accomplished and how much more work I should be doing. Ideally, we'll get some more comrades from the program and see if we can't get a sort of ring going.
2). To get feedback on my work and ideas. Going back to the previous idea, if we can get enough people together, we can encourage each other and have a free exchange of ideas and opinions across the board, much more easily than if we were going back and forth. Of course, anyone else who reads this is free to comment as well.

That stated, this is not my personal blog; it is strictly related to my academic/philosophical endeavors. As such, rants about my personal life, popular culture, and non-research related topics will be kept to a bare minimum.

And, for those of you who don't know, my dissertation is on Walter Benjamin and the Situationists (primarily Guy Debord). I have not yet figured out exactly how to problematically frame this critical analysis.

Now, back to work.

2 comments:

Alex said...

I have high hopes for this idea-- but lets make sure however that it doesn't become another distraction activity!

Matt said...

Dearest Cary, I share in the genral enthusiasm for this project, and even if it's to be a distraction then it'll be one of the more constructive ones...Link me up to your enemies list!
http://suchabalefuldesire.blogspot.com/